Danish Refugee Council (DRC) seeks a specialist on Gender-Based Violence (GBV) to provide technical expertise and support to its offices in Somalia/Somaliland on design of and effective implementation of programs related to prevention and response to GBV. This position is open to Somali Nationals only.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) has been providing relief, humanitarian and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC seeks to protect refugees and internally displaced people (IDPs) on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights in general and to promote long term solutions to the problems of forced displacement. DRC programs include emergency and transitional shelter, livelihoods, food and NFI distribution, water and sanitation , Protection and advocacy amongst others. The Danish Refugee Council works in more than 30 countries throughout the world. In Somalia, DRC has a wide range of programs in Somaliland, Puntland and South Central including emergency response, livelihoods and protection activities.
The National GBV Coordinator will play a major role in strengthening DRC expanded program in Somalia by providing expert advice and technical support to the country program. In addition, the Coordinator will manage specific projects related to GBV prevention and response and will work closely with and support the National and Regional GBV working groups.
Program, design, development & quality control
· Oversee implementation of DRC GBV strategy for Somalia 2014-2016
· Responsible for harmonized implementation of GBV program activities and approaches across Somalia Program, looking at both global and local practices on GBV prevention and response.
· Ensure technical quality of GBV interventions through support to field offices in close consultation with Area Managers.
· In collaboration with protection and M&E teams, assist in the design and conducting of needs assessments and identifying new program opportunities. Ensure that each assessment conducted other DRC sectors look into GBV related risks.
· Provide technical assistance for program development in the areas of gender and GBV.
· Ensure continued advocacy for quality GBV prevention and response interventions
Project Implementation and management
· Ongoing capacity building including on job training and mentoring to staff and GBV implementing partners on case management and gender mainstreaming among other sectors.
· Provide technical guidance in implementation and mainstreaming of GBV interventions in all program sectors
· Implement a GBV mainstreaming capacity building plan for all the DRC sectors (WASH, Protection and FSL).
· Provide direct support and follow up to implementation of GBV projects in all locations
· Ensure quality reports with relevant data and trends are produced as part of DRC interventions on GBV.
· Contribute to the implementation project activities and information sharing related to protection of vulnerable populations
· Support strategic coordination and technical support on GBV programming with relevant government line ministries
· Support the National and the relevant regional GBV WGs to work with other cluster focal points in all locations to implement the global GBV mainstreaming minimum standards and build on past mainstreaming training.
· Liaise with focal points when needed and ensure the preparation and submission of GBVWG monthly reports to the protection cluster and GBV working group.
· Ensure that DRC staff and implementing partners are well-trained on the GBVIMS and share monthly and quarterly data based on the agreed upon Information Sharing Protocol (ISP)
· Active participation to the National GBVWG and GBVWG task forces
The National GBV Coordinator reports to DRC Protection Manager in Somalia.
• University degree in the field of law, anthropology, international relations or in other, social sciences.
• Extensive background on GBV programming and demonstrated commitment to fighting gender inequality and GBV.
• Intellectually flexible with ability to deliver results in a short period of time
• Experience in designing strategic documents to guide implementation, assessments and standard operating procedures especially on GBV.
• Experience in capacity building, including as a trainer and/or project management
• Knowledge and experience of working in humanitarian and/or development settings.
• Fluency in Somalia and English Languages.
• Ability to live and work in a changeable environment
• Experience in working in Somalia/Somaliland is an added advantage
• Experience working with refugees, asylum seekers, migrants, and/or internally displaced persons, preferably on protection-related issues
• Knowledge of international protection principles and GBV global guidelines
• Experience working with an international organization (such as INGOs, UN agencies and diplomatic mission).
• Experience in working with multi-sectoral groups and the UN based cluster approach in humanitarian work
Terms and Conditions
Availability: 15th August 2016
Duty station: Hargeisa, Somaliland, with travel to all other Program locations in Somalia/ Somaliland
Contract: Up to December 2016, with possibility of extension, contingent on funding and performance.