Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso is implementing the two-year Climate Action and Habitat Restoration (CAHR) program in Somalia’s Sool and Sanaag Regions that will consolidate achievements and build on previous efforts of Phases I–III of the Sustainable Coastal Restoration and Development for Somalia project in partnership with the Leonardo DiCaprio Foundation. While program activities of the previous phases have positively impacted communities and the environment, climate change-induced disasters continue to threaten coastal communities in Northern Somalia. This program seeks to strengthen resilience of coastal communities to mitigate and build adaptive capacity to climate change based on the following theory of change: IF coastal restoration and environmental conservation is improved and IF communities are supported in diversifying their livelihoods THEN community resilience is strengthened in adapting to and mitigating climate change in a sustainable way.
The project seeks to realize this goal through the following strategies:
Enhancing community resilience to respond to and mitigate climate-induced crises and strengthen adaptive capacity through livelihood diversification
Scaling community-led climate action and habitat restoration at the coastal belt to counter negative coping strategies and raise awareness on conservation issues
Promoting community ownership of conservation efforts and engaging with private sector to promote environmental conservation
Core activities under this program focus on promoting coastal restoration. The consultant is tasked with focusing on the following:
Strengthening coastal livelihoods and adaptive capacity to climate change for existing fishery and farmers’ associations
Identifying and providing training to fill existing gaps on climate change adaptation.
BACKGROUND FOR CONSULTANCY
Adeso currently is seeking a Climate Change and Marine Conservation Consultant to manage, lead, and expand climate change adaptation, mitigation, and resiliency projects in Puntland, Somalia. The consultancy period shall be for a maximum of 15 days between April 2021-May 2021. The consultant will work closely with the Adeso Program Field Team and Program Manager and will submit and share progress of training activities as agreed.
The consultant will strictly follow the CAHR Work Plan and the time schedule agreed with Adeso in undertaking the consultancy assignment.
a) An appropriate methodology will have to be determined by the consultant in consultations with Adeso
b) The consultant will facilitate presentations and coordination of the climate change and marine conservation workshops/consultations organized as per the agreed work schedule
c) Adeso shall facilitate in collection of the data/information
d) The consultant will undertake review, assessment and judgment of the data/information in close consultation with Adeso
SCOPE OF WORK
· Draft specific, detailed and practical steps to assist marginalized groups in the fishery and farming sectors
· Facilitate working group consultations and trainings (organized by Adeso) and present to the fishery and farming communities
· Enhancing community resilience to respond to and mitigate climate-induced crises and strengthen adaptive capacity through livelihood diversification
· Support the project targeted communities on development of sustainable plans for community-led conservation initiatives and strengthening coastal livelihoods and adaptive capacity to climate change for existing fishers and farmers’ association,
The duration of the consultancy shall be for a maximum of 15 days between April 2021-May 2021. The consultant will work closely with the Adeso Program Field Team and Program Manager and will submit and share progress of training activities as agreed.
Expected Deliverables /Outputs:
Adeso Climate Change and Marine Conservation Consultant is expected to deliver but not limited:
· To provide practical and theoretical knowledge and skills to fishery communities in Lasqorey and Darfur through training workshops and activities
· Identifying and providing training to fill existing gaps on climate change adaptation scaling environmental awareness campaigns and (5) promoting community ownership and private sector involvement in community conservation efforts and disaster preparedness
· Support other Adeso coastal related projects by identifying new initiatives to improve livelihoods of coastal communities
· Identifying and analysis coastal communities needs and gaps for future Adeso proposals development that can approve the
· Develop marine conservation and environmental climate change project guideline
· Train the Puntland Ministry of Environment and Wildlife Conservation staff and community own resourceful persons
· Prepare the all required reports as assigned by the Adeso Program Manager
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to Adeso any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from Adeso.