Vacancy reference no.: VAC-0123
Position: Water Sanitation Engineer
Place of performance: Mogadishu, Somalia
Contract duration: up to 4 months
Starting date: 28-Jun-2016
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Field Project Manager and overall guidance of Chief, Infrastructure Design and Implementation Section (C/IDIS), the Water and Sanitation (WATSAN) Engineer is responsible for the planning, design, construction and maintenance of a wide range of water and sanitation projects in all location in the mission area in Somalia and for submission of the progress on regular basis.
The incumbent will be based in Mogadishu and travels and stays frequently to all project locations as required to manage and implement the water and sanitations contracts/projects
The Water & Sanitation Engineer is responsible for Design and implementation of projects for Water and Sanitation includes Water Supply Systems, Water Treatment Plants, Storage and Distribution Systems; Sanitation and Waste Water Disposal Systems, Waste Water Treatment Plants, etc. in all mission locations. Duties shall include, but not limited, to the following:
· Planning, design, construction and maintenance of WATSAN systems and facilities.
· Evaluates, reviews and revises WATSAN project documents, and analyzes design specifications included in project proposals for accuracy, soundness, feasibility and cost.
· Recommends solutions to WATSAN problems.
· Conducts technical studies on WATSAN topics, developing guidelines for the general planning and maintenance of programs and facilities.
· Keeps abreast, through relevant WATSAN literature, of significant trends and the development of improved methods and equipment.
· Leads efforts of team studying critical WATSAN problems relating to design or construction of systems and facilities. Makes recommendations for resolution of problems in WATSAN areas.
· Participates in planning missions, serving as technical adviser to committees or international meetings on WATSAN matter.
· Advise WATSAN technician to ensure that the water supply and sewerage works installations meet the safety standards in accordance with international codes and regulations.
· Advise on Installation and maintenance of service and repair water supply systems water treatment plants, water storage facilities, sewerage networks, waste/sewage treatment plant, pumps, control panels of all plants/pumps and other allied equipment.
· Advise on carrying out scheduled periodic and emergency maintenance services on all installations and equipment.
· Periodically inspect ongoing project progress, timelines and any setbacks or alterations that may occur
· Inspect engineering work carried out by local/international contractors and ensure all stages are completed satisfactorily prior to payment.
· Perform surveys and prepare technical reports, drawing and material quantities.
· Review; analyze Task Order Proposals on Water & Sanitation works submitted by contractors regarding the accuracy of technical aspect of the proposal.
· Manage the implementation of Task Orders on water and sanitation works to be executed by local/international contractors.
· Prepare material specifications for the purpose of raising requisitions.
· Provide lists of spare parts for water supply and sewerage works and control panel as well as necessary tools and equipment well in advance.
· Ensure the consumption of spare parts in the most productive manner.
· Advice Water and Sanitation technicians on technical and implementation matters
· Performs other related duties as required.
· Professionalism- through knowledge of design and implementation of water supply and sewage maintenance, including installation of water and waste
· Planning and organisation
· Technology Awareness
§ Master’s degree in in engineering or architecture, specialized in Water Sanitation and/or Bachelor’s degree in 1st level degree or 5 years’ experience.
§ Minimum of 4 years of demonstrable relevant Water & Sanitation experience.
§ Minimum of 4 years of experience in Africa with local experience in Mogadishu is an advantage.
§ Fluency in English is essential.
· Performs surveys and technical reports
Other relevant information:
Experience – A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in WATSAN area. Qualifying years of experience are calculated following the receipt of the first level university degree
Professionalism – through knowledge of design and implementation of water supply and sewerage projects including installation of water and waste / sewage treatment plants
Planning and Organization – ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work plans