Position: Vocational Training Centre Manager
Job site: Baidoa, Bay region, Somalia
Report to: CAAC Field Coordinator and CAAC Project Manager
Starting date: Immediate, 01/06/2016
Duration: 8 months
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people affected by natural disasters and conflicts. Established in 1992 with support from the Italian Federation of Trade Unions, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. In Somalia INTERSOS is active since 1992 responding to emergencies that involve IDPs and returnees populations as well as the host community. INTERSOS currently operates in Banadir, Bay, Middle Shabelle and Mudug regions of Somalia.
The primary responsibility of the Vocational Training Centre (VTC) Manager is to ensure effective pedagogical practices and effective learning environment by managing the financial, technical and operations and human resource of the VTC. This includes responsibility of the day-to-day operations of the VTC, managing the VTC trainers, student enrolment process, ensuring adherence to the curriculum and quality of the training provided, and creating strong links with the business community for apprenticeship and job-placement opportunities for graduating students. Working with the local authorities, management and VTC teams to ensure effective outcomes and implementation of organizational strategies, policies and practices.
Duties and responsibilities
Protect children from maltreatment including but not limited to traffickers who are ready to take advantage of them; staff or other children living in the same shelter or residential facility; journalists or others who may violate their right to privacy by revealing their names or other personal details publicly; and members of the public, who attack, criticize or discriminate against children because of stigma and blame attached to CAAC children and the activities in which they may have engaged.
Field supervision and project management support at the VTC
· Coordinate and supervise the day to day activities at the VTC, and report on progress and performance in terms of literacy / courses and course materials.
· Ensure implementation of age appropriate, demand-driven and effective vocational training curriculums including evaluation of the course implementation from admission to completion on a regular basis;
· Manage and monitor the training personnel in the centre; and ensure the internal guidelines on for working with children are followed, including INTERSOS policies and procedures; including adhering to data protection protocols.
· Establish work schedules. Supervise staff. Monitor and evaluate performance in partnership with the Field Coordinator and Project Manager; update weekly and monthly work plans and reports, including reviewing results-based performance against targets;
a. Including participating in preparation of students assessment test
b. Planning of course syllabus timeframe
· Together with PM and base admin control inventory and stock, plan purchasing of new materials for training and start-up, recommend effective strategies for the financial well-being of the centre;
· Working with the Project Manager & Field Coordinator to plan the use of human resources. Assist in recruitment and placement of trainers; establishment of organizational structure; delegation of tasks and accountabilities;
· Identify and advocate on key child protection concerns related to UASC with local authorities, UN and other stakeholders, as agreed with the CP/IDTR PM;
· Ensure a safe environment for the children in our care based on INTERSOS child protection policy;
· Ensure health and safety procedures are implemented effectively.
Project management support and coordination
· With the base manager facilitate effective coordination, communication between the project team, business community, other NGOs, UN agencies and local authorities;
· Conduct market assessment /survey in collaboration with ILO in to evaluate the courses offered market demand for respective skills
· Map out existing business opportunities, identify key actors and hold different awareness events in the VTC to sensitize and mobilize potential employers to offer opportunities to the course graduates and liaise with them to establish strong working relationships with the in order to facilitate job-placement and apprenticeships after centre-based training is completed;
Any other duties assigned by the PM
Ø University degree in Business Administration and equivalent, and experience in operating vocational training programmes or livelihood projects preferred;
Ø Demonstrated management, coordination and leadership skills with collaborative management style;
Ø Demonstrated commitment to child protection and social justice;
Ø Good computer skills and proficient in Excel and Word;
Ø Excellent interpersonal and communication skills both verbal and written (English and Somali);
Ø Budget development, procurement and stick-management oversight experience;
Ø A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standards in a diverse workplace
Ø Knowledge of Somali Labour Standards.
Ø Priorities, delegates responsibilities effectively and meets required deadlines;
Ø This position requires work outside the office environment, and non-standard/flexible working hours.