TERMS OF REFERENCE
TO CONDUCT AND PROVIDE TRAINING TO STRENGTHEN THE CAPACITY OF STAFF OF ROADS/ HIGHWAY AUTHORITIES OF SOMALIA/SOMALILAND (PUNTLAND HIGHWAY AUTHORITY-(PHA), ROADS DEVELOPEMENT AGENCY-(RDA), & WORKS DEPARTMENT-JUBALAND
& SOUTH CENTRAL SOMALIA
PROJECT: TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) Project
With funding from the European Union, CARE Somalia/Somaliland is implementing “THE BRIDGES” project in Somalia/Somaliland with the overall objective of promoting economic growth through infrastructure development, employment creation and sustainable natural resources management. The project’s key focus is on “The development of professionals, technicians and skilled workforce to meet the country’s labour market demands within the road and energy sectors”.
The project is also seeking to capacitate the roads authorities as part of the wider initiatives to improve skills in roads infrastructure. The project aims to strengthen the capacity of existing road authorities staff. Under this initiative, CARE will work with the roads authorities to identify opportunities where additional investments in capacity building will drive organizational change to produce sustainable results.
The inadequate supply of road infrastructure in Somalia/Somaliland is widely seen as a major hindrance to economic development and poverty reduction. Whereas, the road infrastructure of Somalia/Somaliland comprises approximately 22,000km of roads (of which 2,600km is primary roads), there has been very little investment in road development or maintenance, since the late 1980s. Consequently, the capital infrastructure stock that the country had built up by the late 1980s has been largely depleted. Existing road sector personnel has limited competencies and experience and this is restricting the ability of public institutions to plan, implement and monitor roads infrastructure projects.
CARE Somalia/Somaliland has received funding from the European Union to improve technical skills of the youth of roads and energy service sectors. The Overall objective of the project is to promote economic growth through infrastructure development, employment creation and sustainable natural resources management. The Specific objective is to improve access to markets and social services, improve access to energy services and enhance sustainable use of natural resources through an increased availability of skilled human resources for Somalia/Somaliland’s road and energy sectors.
The TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) project aims to support the Government of Somalia/Somaliland plans to enhance inclusive economic growth and reduce poverty. The project will assist in the development of high quality skills both for gainful employment and sustainable economic development. In order to meet labour demands in road infrastructure and energy sectors, the project aims to strengthening TVET and higher education (HE) to make them of high quality and responsive to the changing market situations in the selected priority sectors of the economy.
Given the increasingly dynamic employment market, the project supports the introduction of a private sector–led and a high quality competency–based skills development approach facilitated by innovate and integrated internationally bench–marked frameworks, to increase the relevance of the skills training offered and to ensure an optimal absorption of the (new) skilled workforce into the labour market.
To attain these objectives, first national and local capacities in the design, management and implementation of skills development and employment promotion program in TVET and HE linked to the road infrastructure and energy services must be strengthened and training qualifications need to be brought to a higher quality and existing frameworks need to be aligned with standardized norms. The project is also supporting roads authorities in Somalia and Somaliland with capacity building activities in an effort enhance the capacity of the roads authorities.
This will attribute to realizing Result 1 of the project: Increased equitable access to private sector-led and competence-based skills development opportunities linked to road infrastructure and energy services for youth.
2. Objective of the Assignment
a) To develop a content/ guideline for Training of road sector authority staff based the on developed module in accordance with CAREs suggestions relating to BRIDGES project of building capacity of the roads authority staff
b) To provide training to road staff to strengthen their capacity in management for potential boosting of the road infrastructural projects
In the above context, the work in “TVET and Higher Education for Boosting Road Infrastructure Development and Growth of Energy Services (THE BRIDGES) Project” has planned to select and hire a competent and experienced training Consultant(s) / firms to undertake the assignment as per the TOR in the listed lots below:
a) Expression of interests (EOI) can only be done in each LOT. i.e No Consultant can apply for more than one Lot
CAPACITY BUILDING AREA
Target Roads Authorities
Road Construction Project Management
Puntland Highway Authority PHA,
Roads Development Agency-RDA Somaliland,
10 days ()
Road Survey Training
Department of works- (Kismayu,Galmudug)
Geotechnical Investigations (Laboratory/Material Tests)
Dept. of Works (Jubaland& South Central), Mogadishu
· The consultant is expected to travel to Somalia/Somaliland where the training will take place.
· Develop Course outline and contents of the Training and prepare PPT and necessary handouts for the participants on the basis of the approved training manual
· Organize practical sessions during the training
· Prepare a training delivery schedule with full itinerary of the events;
· Deliver intensive training program for the selected roads authority staff
· Prepare and submit the training reports for each program and also a compilation report of 3 training programs with photographs of the participants and
· Submit the final training documents (manual and power point slides, group work exercise etc.) and documentation.
CARE shall monitor and supervise the work and review progress of the work, provide regular technical support and feedback and provide support for engaging stakeholders and constituents as when required. Besides, CARE will provide necessary technical assistance for planning and implementation of the said training program. The project will also establish linkages with the government as well as the Roads Authorities to help provide assistance as required. Therefore, the selected training service provider will be required to keep close and constant touch with CARE and the roads authorities. The selected service provider should maintain the quality of the training and required services as per procedure and protocol of CARE and the Roads Authorities.
Road Construction Project Management
Output: The roads authority staff(mid-career) to gain practical knowledge in; road project management and management right from a) needs assessment, and are able to carry out;
The training content must entail:
· Overview of Project Planning and Programming, Objectives, Success Criteria and Constraints, The Planning Process, Work Breakdown Structure, Network Planning, Critical Path Analysis, Resource Scheduling.
· Strategic Management, Organization, Estimate, Project lifecycle, Project networks, Risk Management, Scheduling resources/costs, Outsourcing, Team-work, Leadership,
· Monitoring, Technical Audit,
· PM Software Application in Road Projects(MS Project/Primavera/ [email protected])
1. Puntland Highway Authority, Somalia
Note: Trainings will be conducted separately for PHA and RDA
3. Department of Works-Federal Gov’t Mogadishu
Road Survey Training
(GIS, Geometrical Road Design Surveying & CAD)
Roads sector staff are able to perform geometric road design, use Surveying Equipment (Total Stations/RTK) and conduct GIS procedures in road mapping and networking. Carry out design of roads using CAD-software (AutoCAD, or Civi-CAD)
The training content must entail:
· Surveying: Guidelines of conducting a road survey, units of measurements, scale, plan and maps, accuracy and precision, types of errors and errors in measurements. Chain/ linear surveying, Leveling (Total Stations, RTK and Theodolite Application)
· Geometric design(Section of roads on a straight potion, Horizontal curves, Vertical curves, Intersections and Junctions)
· GIS Application( use of GPS as a tool in coordinate positioning, orienteering and Navigation GPS/GIS Data Integration: integration of GPS data with other datasets within GIS, along with application of analysis techniques
· CAD ( Use of Autocad, Archicad or CiviCAD in drawing structural plans / details of roads)
Department of Works Jubaland
Geotechnical Investigations Training
The roads authority technicians/laboratory personnel will be better equipped to conduct geotechnical investigations material testing using the existing laboratory equipment in the most innovative, effective and efficient manner.
The training content must entail:
· Soil Tests as per the standard specification requirements
· Aggregate tests for asphalt & concrete works
· Concrete tests including mix design of different classes of concrete
· Asphalt tests as per standard specification requirement
· SEV: Sand Equivalent Value
· CBR Test
· Any other relevant tests deemed important by trainees
Department of Works Jubaland & South Central Somalia
Expected date/ time
Development of training materials includes content/ guideline for training, presentations & hand-outs, planning for the sessions etc.
Conduct of training programs to train at least 15 roads authority staff
1 week after the training
· Minimum 7 years of experience in providing/ conducting training and developing training guideline in addition to working on road projects;
· Education requirements; At least a MSc in Civil Engineering/ Construction Management with specialization in Highway/Roads or Bsc Civil Engineering with over 10 years’ experience in road development projects.
· Postgraduate Qualification in Construction Project Management or Certification in PMP/ Prince2
For Lot 2;
· At least a BSc in Land Surveying / Civil Engineering Surveying / Geomatics with significant experience in GIS and modern Surveying equipment, CAD design skills is a MUST
· Postgraduate studies in related field will be an added advantage
· Registration with professional Engineering/Surveying Board is an added advantage
· At least 2 technical staff should be enlisted in the pool of trainers;
For Lot 3;
· At least a BSc Civil Engineering/Material Science for lead consultant
· 7 years’ experience in performing Geotechnical Investigation including (Laboratory Testing of materials)
· Extensive knowledge on material science
· 7-10 years proven experience and capacity to develop training for the road sectors
· Proven capacity to develop practical training guidelines and programme; experience in documentation, reporting and evaluation of training programs for any regional roads authority in the: Horn of Africa, EAC, and or ECOWAS
· Must have technical specialist for equipment and software related trainings to potentially serve as master trainers in all the LOTs
· Registration with any professional institutions for the lead consultant
The training service provider will maintain proper documentation process of the training and assess evaluation and quality of the training through standard template. In addition, the contracted Training Service Provider will regularly update training related data proving input to BRIDGES Project training/event data monitoring system on completion and achievement of training deliverables.
The payment on the awarded service contract will be made in US Dollars (USD) against achieved output and on submission of report as per CARE rules and payment conditions that will be stipulated in the Service for Contract.
CARE invites technical and financial proposal from qualified consultant/firms/entities having relevant experience in delivering similar services as mentioned in this Terms of Reference (TOR). Only a single technically responsive and financially viable Consultant/firm/entity will be selected for each Lot following CARE procurement rules/procedure on evaluation by a CARE technical team of professionals, and awarded with the contract for the expected deliverables and outputs as per the TOR.
Cumulative Evaluation Method will be used for this procurement exercise and Contract will be awarded to highest scorer in Cumulative analysis considering Technical and Financial Evaluation. The technical proposal will contain 70% and financial proposal will contain 30%. Quotations must be in US dollars.