Terms of Reference – Technical Advisor
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions
Project: SPUR Project
Position Type: Technical Advisor
Base: Adeso / Somalia Disaster Management Authority (SODMA) – Mogadishu, with frequent travel to federal regional states
Position Location: Mogadishu – Somalia
Duration: 1 year
Reporting To: Adeso – Senior Humanitarian Advisor and SODMA
Working With: SODMA, Regional States Disaster Management Agencies and Other Relevant Stakeholders
Starting Date: August 2016
Application Deadline:15th July 2016
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy. For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth.
Adeso has been working with the Somalia disaster management authority (SODMA) through technical support in the coordination of all stakeholders at Mogadishu level on the disasters management. Through this support, Adeso had facilitated the institutional capacity assessment and the development of the 3 years strategic framework through a consultative process. Under the current focus, Adeso will continue to support SODMA in the implementation process for the strategic framework, the development of the relevant policies and guidelines that will enable SODMA to fully materialize its strategic plan.
The technical advisor will be fully seconded to the Somalia disasters management agencies-SODMA, and will provide the overall technical facilitation in the main pillars of the SODMA strategic plan (disaster preparedness, response and coordination, the early warning system and information management, disaster risk reduction and the regional coordination mechanism). Specifically, the advisor will facilitate the implementation of the recommendations from SODMA institutional capacity assessment report, as well as the implementation of the strategic framework. In addition, the advisor will provide assistance to the regional disasters management agencies in the new and the upcoming federal states (Jubbaland, Galmudug, and Southwest etc)
· Provide technical support in the implementation of the SODMA strategic framework and the overall strategic vision in the management of disasters in Somalia
· Lead and Institute a roadmap and enforcement mechanism for the Federal and Regional states government agencies to take their rightful role in decision-making forums through leading the coordination in the management of the disasters in country level.
· lead the initial capacity assessment of the newly formed regional states disaster management agencies and working towards addressing the gaps through institutional capacity strengthening, while coordinating internal and external assistance as appropriate
· Facilitate government disaster/humanitarian agencies to enforce minimum operating procedures and standards for other actors that contribute to the management of disasters.
· Provide expertise in the development/reviewing of regional and national strategic plans on disaster Management.
· Coordinate with the government ministries and existing r forums e.g. Resilience programs, IGAD and the UN OCHA lead forums to formulate and disseminate an early warning system aim to improve preparedness and response to disasters.
· Lead the Disaster Risk Reduction team and the development, harmonization of the policies and guidelines that provides conducive working framework for all actors
· Ensures the integration of cross-cutting issues, such as gender, HIV/AIDS, peace building, human right into the design and development of the disaster management guidelines and related interventions.
· Facilitate the development of annual work plans for the Disaster Risk Reduction and Environmental Governance at the National and regional government disaster agencies.
· Promote information sharing and coordination with Government institutions, UN agencies, Local and International NGOs.
· Participate any other Coordination forums that supports Somalia disaster management agencies at both national and federal government levels.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Master’s Degree in Disaster Risk Management, Environment, Climate Change, Social Sciences, Public Administration, Management, International Relations or any other relevant field.
· A minimum of 7 years’ experience in the fields of disaster risk reduction, environmental governance, organizational development and other relevant fields.
· Proven experience in previous similar works undertaken in regards to disaster management, organizational capacity support, information management, early warning and surveillance system as well as government agencies coordination roles.
· He/She Must have Proven management experience, preferably with humanitarian settings, with sound knowledge and experience in all aspects of project cycle (design, implementation, monitoring & evaluation and Coordination’s );Prior experience of Somalia/or countries in transition would be an asset;
· Strong interpersonal and written and oral communication skills; Ability to work well in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
· Significant experience in humanitarian programs related to Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR), emergency response linking it with relief and development.
· Has excellent ability in lobbying, understanding the way the various humanitarian actors in Somalia work (Government, LNGOs, INGOS, and UN, private sector traditional and nontraditional donors)
· Excellent data collection and analytical ability with proven experience in reports writing.
· Sound understanding of international economic, social development and poverty issues in Somalia and the region.
· High level networking skills –prior experience of alliance building with other organizations, forums etc.
· Sensitivity to the challenging political contexts and understanding of risk management processes.
· Highly motivated, self-starter able to lead a process, engage others and create ownership of the processes to all stakeholders.
· Good diplomatic, tactic and negotiation skills.
· Fluency in Somali will be an added advantage
· Previous similar experience in Somalia is added advantage