The Audit, Risk & Compliance function supports CARE Somalia/Somaliland and its management by evaluating the adequacy and effectiveness of the governance, risk management, control and oversight systems in place.
The role holder will be expected to be part of a team delivering high quality, outcomes-focussed internal audit assignments, reviews, investigations and other work assigned to them to meet agreed professional standards and stakeholder expectations, on time and within budget. Building credibility through effective collaboration and a solutions-driven approach to internal audit are key to this role.
He/She will be expected to produce high quality, value-adding audit reports in English that are clear, concise, timely and solutions-driven. He/She will also be expected to maintain strong professional relationships across the organisation, working in real partnership with their team and across the business, ensuring that they keep up-to-date with changes and events that have a significant impact on the risk profile of actual as well as potential assignments.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Audit, Risk & Compliance Manager
Budget Responsibilities: None directly though will be instrumental audits are delivered on budget
Staff are expected to:
travel and deliver audits across the whole Country Office programming portfolio, unless travel is restricted by the organisation.
work to the annual timetable for audits, rather than the timetable of their home base office. By this it is meant that staff may be required to work on a particular festival or holiday and a day offered in lieu.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
R1: work closely with the Audit & Compliance Manager in planning, conducting, reporting and follow up assignments from the audit plan on time, to a high standard and within budget;
R2: lead by example, ensuring that relationships with all ‘clients’ remain strong through demonstrating professional acumen, interpersonal skills, and the delivery of first-class results;
R3: deliver workshops and presentations as required;
R4: contribute to systems development work within CARE Somalia, providing independent advice regarding appropriate levels of internal control & oversight;
R5: promote ‘horizontal learning’ opportunities, ensuring that learning is identified and that good practice is shared actively across programmes/ regions;
R6: respond to queries raised by management, providing prompt and professional advice as appropriate; and,
R7: Maintain up-to-date knowledge of audit tools and CARE’s operations and operating environment.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· experience of conducting risk-based reviews of systems and processes, identifying weaknesses and areas of improvements with minimum supervision and support
· demonstrable ability to focus on key issues, enabling auditees to focus on crucial matters of control and oversight
· highly accurate, detail-orientated, and able to complete multiple projects, with conflicting priorities, on a timely basis
· strong experience in producing high quality effective written communication e.g. reports, in English
· good communication skills and ability to articulate effectively at all levels (in English).
· strong interpersonal communication and coaching skills including a demonstrable ability to deliver difficult messages with tact and confidence
· strong orientation for results, with the ability to challenge existing mind sets
· proves to be a reliable team leader, effectively supporting the Manager
· willingness to undertake significant travel and work with minimum supervision under difficult conditions;
· strong cultural awareness and be able to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures;
· demonstrate standards of ethics and integrity ; and
· Committed to CARE’s values.
· At least 4 years audit experience in an INGO or in a reputable commercial/public sector international organisation
· Experience of grant requirements of major donors such as USAID, EC/ECHO, DfID and ADB
· Financial analysis aptitude
· Experience of computerized financial systems
· Experience of IT audit
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.