1. Terms of reference
TO BE NOTIFIED
Hierarchically to the Director of Programmes
2. Job description
A. General context of the project
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people in danger, victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts.
INTERSOS in Somalia is working in Protection, Education, WASH, Health, Nutrition and Return Sectors.
The areas of intervention are: Banadir; Bay region in Baidoa and Diinsor district; In Middle Shabelle region in Jowhar, Balad and recently in Wajid in Bakool region
INTERSOS assumed responsibility for running Jowhar hospital in 1994, which was, and in fact remains, the only one in the region, with a catchment area of approximately 60,000 people living in the town and another 160,000 people in the surrounding rural areas (half of whom are nomads).
The programme includes the running and the strengthening of the hospital’s facilities, a Centre for the treatment of tuberculosis and a mother and child health care clinic, and mobile clinic system in rural area. INTERSOS is supporting coverage of primary healthcare in Jowhar and Balcad districts, as well as Baidoa district, strengthening disease prevention and increasing the quality of services in regard to the referral mechanism of complicated cases to JRH. INTERSOS manages acute malnutrition for
Approximately 20,000 beneficiaries through OTP operations covering 48 villages within catchments areas of the 5 health centers. The referral mechanism also allows the transfer of SAM cases to the stabilization center at JRH. INTERSOS is also the Health Cluster Regional focal point and has successfully re-established the Health Cluster mechanism in Middle Shabelle and has led and
Coordinated rapid and effective multiagency response to several extensive crisis and responded to any epidemic outbreak (AWD/ Measles) in the area.
B. General purpose of the position, responsibilities and tasks
General purpose of the position
Represent INTERSOS in the geographic area of his competence and, in collaboration with the Deputy Regional Director, has the responsibility of management, strategic planning, implementation of the strategies and achievement of mission’s objectives
Main responsibilities and tasks
· Design strategies, define territorial areas and sectors to be privileged, programming and planning of activities together with Deputy Regional Director
· In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director guarantee the implementation of the regional strategies and analyse the critical factors of contexts
· Is responsible of the overall security in the geographic area of his competence and of the implementation of security protocols and policies
· Is responsible of relations with donors, stakeholders, authorities and representatives of beneficiaries and collaborate with Head of Missions and project leaders in the management of these relations
· Is responsible for the identification and elaboration of new project interventions:
direct and support Head of Missions and project leaders in designing, setting up and implementing new projects
in agreement with Director of Programmes approves project proposals before the submission to donors
· Follow up, in coordination with Regional Finance Coordinator, the approval process at HQ level of project proposals before submission to the donors. Link with Director of Programmes and Secretary General for the approval of projects that involve a high risk in accordance with the provisions of the risk analysis
· Supervise implementation of projects (constraints and rules of the donors, consistency and technical-methodological congruity, quality of resources, effectiveness of results efficiency)
· In collaboration with Deputy Regional Director and Head of Missions guarantee the application of INTERSOS and donors administrative procedures for the efficient and transparent management of projects, offices and countries of its competence
· In collaboration with Human Resources department supervise management of Human Resources and atmosphere in the missions:
collaborate to the recruitment of international Human Resources of the geographical area
motivate, direct and support managers and teams encouraging cohesion and motivation
promote orientation and training sessions for the operators of the region
appraise the performance of Head of Missions and is responsible to discuss the evaluation (IRP) and the achievement of objectives. Support the Head of Missions in the evaluation process of the project leaders
· Ensure the constant and timely sharing of information and regular communication inside the Program Department to facilitate the adjustment of actions referring to coordination, monitoring and control of the project activities
Any other duties not listed here, but considered necessary to the mission and as directed by the Director of Programmes.
3. Position requirements
Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, the humanitarian system and its flexibility, donors and their high demanding, security and financial management in humanitarian context
Computer (excel) and admin/finance skills
Donor compliance and reporting
Highly able to keep confidentiality
Able to work independently
People Management and Leadership
Demonstrated leadership and interpersonal skills
Demonstrated experience in staff supervision
Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of INTERSOS
Previous experience as a finance manager/leader in a busy medium-sized organization at a point of strong growth
Strong understanding of financial planning, management and reporting in a non-profit and Donor funding environment
Proven ability to build and improve processes and systems in the finance area to increase efficiency.
Ability to spearhead the use of data in decision making.
Ability to fluidly operate on a wide range of responsibilities, from -overseeing the finance team in their daily tasks to strategically advising the organization on matters finance.
Strong team spirit, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
Strategic vision and planning
Ability to work and adapt in different environments
Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills
Practical and problem-solver