VSF Germany is implementing the project ‘***Securing livelihoods of agro-pastoralists through setting up and strengthening of livestock sector value chains promoting infrastructure and generating income’ for the next 33 months (1st June, 2016 to 31st April, 2019) with funding from BMZ. The project will be implemented in *Somaliland: Galbeed, Maroodjeex region covering Hargeisa, Gebiley and Balligubadle districts.
The overall objective of the programme is to „improve livelihood of dairy and meat-producing agro-pastoralists and of members of the milk and meat value chain through increased income and, thus improve access to animal products at local markets for consumers in order to ensure their supply with high-quality protein..To effectively implement this project VSFG is seeking to employ a Field Office who has adequate expertise and experience in promotion of community participation in innovations in the dairy and meat value chain.
Purpose of the job: To provide technical expertise and support in planning, implementation monitoring, reporting and communication to the Project Manager and the project field teams. The Senior Project Officer will be in charge of direct implementation of project activities.
Location: Gabiley or Balligubadle district with travels to Head Office in Hargeisa as may be required from time to time.
· Works with the Senior Project Officer and by extension Project Manger to gather information and materials used with the community residents
· Conduct both structured and unstructured trainings of the community on the implementation of various project activities; community awareness, organizing of training venues, distribution of project input to beneficiaries, etc.
· Oversees the implementation of all project activities by beneficiaries in selected areas.
· Interacts with the community and compiles information for the Senior Project Officer.
· Conduct community meetings to update residents on progress of the implementation
· Mobilize the community in the selection of project beneficiaries for monitoring, supervision & accountability.
· Mobilizes the community to ensure their participation in appraisal of progress of the project..
· Provide information and updates to the Senior Project Officer /Project Manager on the progress of activities in the Field.
· Organize and plan for community sensitization meetings on various project aspects.
· Conduct house hold Field visits to assess the needs and progress of the activities implementation.
· Collect data for baseline surveys e.g. Beneficiary profiles, Market surveys etc.
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Minimum qualifications and work experience
· At least a Diploma qualification in Social Sciences, Development Studies, Agricultural Science, Animal Science, or similar discipline.
· At least 5 years working experience as a Field Officer (or similar position) in implementation of donor-funded projects.
· At least 3 years working experience in extension services linked to dairy and meat value chain or working with community based groups involved in income generating activities.
· At least 3 years working experience in capacity building of communities, Income Generating Groups, government staff, and non-government organizations.
· Experience in liaison with national and international actors in community based interventions, gender and youth issues.
· Good knowledge in monitoring and documentation of knowledge management.
· Ability to promote team work for effective and efficient output.
· Fluency in spoken and written English will be an added advantage