Vacancy reference no.: VAC-0103
Position: Project Engineer Trainee x 2
Place of performance: Mogadishu, Somalia
Contract duration: up to 6 months with possibility of extension
Starting date: 6-Jun-2016
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Somalia office helps a wide range of local and international partners improve the lives of the Somali people by implementing infrastructure and procurement projects. All our clients operations have an increasing emphasis on developing national capacities and considering gender, environmental and community concerns. The re-building of functioning government institutions and processes centered on the Somali Compact, is central to the return of stability and security in Somalia at all levels. This project addresses the support to the infrastructure requirements of two Ministries namely, the Ministry of Health and the Ministry of Finance. The expected outcomes of this project are a new or renovated Ministry of Finance Headquarters building and a new Ministry of Health Headquarters office block to provide a quality working environment in order to increase the capacity of the respective Ministries to support the needs of Somalia.
As support in building capacity for the country, our client in partnership with the Ministry of Public Works (MoPW) will take two Local Engineers to be trained in Public Works Constructions Management and Public Works Quality Insurance.
· Under the overall guidance of the SIDA Infrastructure Project Manager and our clients Local Engineers, the Project Engineer Trainee, will be trained to acquire technical expertise to support the supervision and management of the Construction works for the project that he/she has been assigned to and to learn how to make sure the works are being implemented as per the laid down contract terms and conditions.
· Specifically the incumbent will be trained for the following substantive tasks; this list is not representative of all the duties required but indicates typical duties and responsibilities:
· Training on overseeing the implementation of works for the specific project and maintaining the necessary and appropriate means in monitoring progress of works according to contract schedules, specifications and project plans;
· Trained as the focal officer for the specific project providing support and guidance, and assisting in resolving site problems, as necessary;
· Supporting on supervision of technical staff and consultants assigned to project, and completion of evaluation of their performance on their assigned duties;
· Maintains his attendance on a daily basis on the project site in order to support our clients Site Engineer in identifying the existing problems and help to provide appropriate solutions through application of sound engineering standards in consultation with the Project Manager our clients Site Engineer;
· Helping on updating the list of unit prices for construction materials and labor costs and also the preparation of a database for the available materials and suppliers of the construction industry in the local market;
· Helping the preparation of progress reports on construction activities and submission of such on a weekly basis to the Project Manager;
· Assist in the identification, evaluation, selection and supervision of building contractors for specified project work;
· Perform any other duties as may be requested by the Project Manager or our clients Site Engineers;
· Actively engage in knowledge sharing and also improve one’s professional skills
· Assisting the Site Engineer ensuring that the construction works are being carried out within the stipulated time, cost and quality standards;
· Assisting the Site Engineer to prepare appropriate reports and assessments as required;
· Ensure team effort is provided for Client submissions for timely delivery and within allocated budget;
· Assist the Site Engineers on the accurate implementation of the site works which are to be of good quality by observing all appropriate/relevant standards and UN guidelines if relevant.
· Not required for these roles
§ Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
§ Minimum of 1 years of demonstrable relevant Construction experience.
§ Local experience in Mogadishu is an advantage.
§ Fluency in English is essential.
· Experience of works related with construction.
· Candidate with experience working on International /local projects in conflict/disaster prone areas will be preferred;
· Experience in contracting and/or consulting environment is also an advantage;
· Ability to work to meet tight schedules under stressful environment and varied cultural context.
· Knowledge and capacity to manage project documentation to professional and accurate standards.
· Flexibility and ability to quickly grasp complex structures.
· Good team player attitude.
· Ability to perform with professionalism, integrity and commitment to project demands.
· Ability to work accurately, control quality and multitask.
· Ability to work under pressure and meet strict deadlines.
· Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
· Familiarity and advanced user level with software’s such as AUTOCAD, MS Office and other relevant software’s.
Other relevant information:
to be advised