OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
• This position is located in the field mission of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM).
• The Administrative Assistant, will be based in Mogadishu, serve in the Office of the Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Somalia, Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator (DSRSG/RC/HC), and report to DSRSG/RC/HC.
• Provides substantive and administrative support in managing priorities, information and work flow within Office of the DSRSG/RC/HC, through the appropriate processing of all incoming/outgoing correspondence, e-mail communications and telephone calls; coordinates and monitors multiple and diverse activities and work processes to ensure that management directives and decisions are properly carried out and products delivered in a timely manner.
• Identify and resolve diverse issues and problems as they arise, determining the appropriate actions.
• Coordinate extensively with service units and liaise frequently with internal team members both at Headquarters and in the field mission as well as external partners, including Government officials and members of the diplomatic corps.
• Perform other related administrative duties, as required (e.g., operational travel program, monitoring accounts and payments to vendors and individual contractors for services, physical space planning and the identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems, organizing and coordinating seminars, conferences and translations)
• Oversee and facilitate the preparation for all the DSRSG/RC/HC’s official functions in close coordination with the Special Assistant to the DSRSG/RC/HC and other service providing units, receive senior delegations, UN, NGOs and diplomatic officials and ensure that all protocol arrangements are in place,
• In coordination with the Special Assistant to the DSRSG/RC/HC, manage the DSRSG/RC/HC’s calendar and daily programme, prepared materials and folders for official business trips/meetings and assisted in coordination of collection of requested information,
• Monitor the DSRSG/RC/HC’s attendance records, sick leave, annual leave and Rest and Recuperation (R&R); assist with the entitlements claims for the DSRSG/RC/HC
• Fulfilled daily duties of the Special Assistant to the DSRSG/RC/HC in his absence/or as required.
Human Resources Management:
• Coordinate actions with respect to the Office of the DSRSG/RC/HC’s human resource activities (e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation of staff members, training, and so on) ensuring consistency in the application of UN rules and procedures. Liaise with central administration/ executive services as required.
• Oversee the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and keep track of status of vacancy announcements.
• Coordinate the preparation of language tests, convening of rebuttal panels, organization of a range of promotion and review panels, plus the processing of the various yearly staff personal evaluation reports and forms.
• Review and process personnel actions through the mission Integrated Management Information System (IMIS).
• Advise staff on visa matters and other relevant rules and regulations; coordinate the induction and orientation of new staff members in the mission.
• Provide advice and answer queries on classification procedures and processes.
Budget and Finance:
• Provide expert assistance and coordination in the preparation and development of the Office of the DSRSG/RC/HC’s work programme and budget.
• Assist in monitoring budget/work programme with respect to various budgets, trust funds, grants and other funds on a regular basis, suggest reallocations of resources and implement the reallocations as necessary.
• Collect data from relevant databases and prepare customized financial reports.
• Provide assistance in the review and preparation of the medium-term plan and its revisions.
• Review, analyse and assist in the finalisation of the cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non-staff requirements from departments/offices at headquarters and in the field, including programmatic aspects: ensure compliance with the medium-term plan and other legislative mandates.
• Assist managers in the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Monitor budget implementation/expenditures and recommend reallocation of funds as necessary.
• Review and verify the availability of funds for all requisitions ensuring that the correct object of expenditure has been charged. Ensure that the allotments and exchange rates within the system are updated on a regular basis.
• Monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Assist in the preparation of the year end budget performance report submissions.
• Assist in finalisation of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and the actual expenditures.
• Shows pride in work and in achievements.
• Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
• Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
• Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
• Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations
• Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organising:
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
Allocates appropriate amounts of time and resources for completing work
Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning
Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently
§ Master’s degree in International relations and/or Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
§ Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable relevant Political Reform experience.
§ Minimum of 1 years of experience in Africa with local experience in Mogadishu is an advantage.
§ Fluency in English is essential.
• At least 4 years of progressively responsible experience within the United Nations system or the private sector in the field of administrative services, finance, accounting, human resources, audit, or in other related fields, including previous experience supporting the front office of senior office in the UN system field operations (inclusive of peacekeeping, political missions and UN agencies, funds and programmes) is required.
• Previous experience operating web-based UN administrative systems such as UMOJA and FSS is required.
• A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in United Nations Field Missions is desirable.
• Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in the field of international relations, political science, public policy, conflict or security studies or related field; or
• Bachelor degree or equivalent Technical or vocational certificate, in administrative services, finance, human resources, business administration or personnel management is a requirement combined with 4 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Other relevant information: