Number of position: one(1)
Duty Station: Mogadishu, with frequent travel
Type of contract: Fixed term
Contract duration: 1year with possibility of extension
Action Contre la Faim (Action Against Hunger) has been conducting humanitarian programs in Somalia Since May 1992. Currently, ACF is conducting its humanitarian activities in Somalia focused on treating and preventing malnutrition, increasing access to clean water and appropriate sanitation, strengthening the food-security and the livelihoods and thus boosting the resilience of communities in Somalia as well as rapid emergency response program, bases in Mogadishu (since 1995), El Berde (since 2012), Xudur (since 2014), (Garowe and Eyl since 2014) and Tieglow (2015).
The positions and responsibilities
ACF Somalia is looking for suitable Somali National to fill the position of Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager, based in Mogadishu. Reports hierarchically to the Field Coordinator and technically to the Deputy Country Director and the Program Support Officer at HQ, core responsibilities of the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager will include but not limited to the following:
The overall goal of the position is to set-up, implement and maintain Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning system for the ACF Somalia country program. a
The MEM is responsible for the design, implementation and maintenance of a comprehensive and adapted M&E system for the ACF-Somalia mission
Specific task include:
· Stocktaking of existing data collection and monitoring tools in the mission
· In collaboration with programme HoDs, their respective Technical Advisors in HQ and the DCD, propose possible improvements and/or streamlining of tools
· Support the programme team in the definition of SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound) progress, impact and early-warning indicators
· Lead the design of an ACF-Somalia database integrating the needs of progress monitoring, impact evaluation as well as for general surveillance and operational information
· Develop systematic and realistic monitoring plans in concordance with existing project cycles
· Support programme HoDs in finding solutions for challenges in the data transfer and communication between project locations and coordination team
· Liaise with other partners (SomReP, SNS, clusters, FSNAU etc.) to allow streamlining of M&E systems and thus a broader analysis among more partners
· Include donors’ and ACF M&E guidelines into the ACF-SO ME system.
The MEM is responsible for providing technical leadership and capacity development to the field based MEAL officers and focal points for ensuring effectiveness and efficiency in their work.
Specific task include:
· Provide an organization of the MEAL sub-department with a vision, framework and strategic plan and M&E initiatives within ACF Somalia in close coordination with DCD
· Lead recruitment & orientation and provide technical supervision of field-based MEAL teams
· Identify M&E training needs of the MEAL team and work with them and other programme teams to plan and implement training that meets these needs.
· Continuously coach, train and mentor the MEAL staff in all project locations with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity
· Continuously exchanging knowledge/learning within the M&E team and provide professional development guidance in conjunction with the heads of programme departments
The MEM is responsible for provision of quality data and information needed for fact based grant proposal writing, effective management and accurate reporting.
Specific task include:
· Participate in development of new grants by completing the M&E sections of the proposal and reporting, related to the same;
· Provide data and information input for grants reporting or enquiries as requested by the GCM
· Lead all M&E initiatives for assigned grant(s)/project(s) including monitoring data quality, tracking the progress of activities, and informing staff capacity building initiatives.
· Clean-up and validation of raw data coming from the different project locations and programs
· Supervises the quality implementation of the mission’s regular monitoring tools
· In coordination with programme HoDs follow the implementation of surveys (SMART, SQEAC, baseline, end-line, mapping exercises, NCA, PVCA etc.) and integrate results as much as possible into the ACF-SO data base
· Facilitate the analysis by producing visual summaries (maps, graphs) upon request of the coordination teams in Nairobi and/or Paris
· Support Country Management Team by establishing relevant actor and intervention mappings
· Supports the mission’s advocacy strategy with the contribution of relevant data
· Support the donor reporting by contributing with processed and summarized data
· Support project planning by contributing with demographic, epidemiologic and other baseline data
· Consolidate and compile all the monthly APRs (narrative and quantitative), make verified files available to authorized recipients on time before properly archiving them
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies required:
· University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Project Management, M & E, or a field relevant to Nutrition & Health, WASH and/or Food Security programming.
· At least two years of Professional M & E experience in the UN, other international development organization, private sector or governmental organisation.
· Solid knowledge of the Logical Framework approach and the main standard indicators for nutrition, health, wash and food security programs
· Background in health & Nutrition sciences, WASH or food security programming.
· Good facilitation, analytical, planning and report writing skills;
· Demonstrate good planning, organizational and research / analytical skills;
· Good interpersonal skills ; team player Flexible & Proactive
· Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills
· Ability to use standard computing, packages (word, excel, outlook, power point, internet etc.);
· Knowledge of M&E requirements in major donors
· Experience working in fast paced humanitarian programming in Somalia
· Knowledge of mapping, statistic (EpiInfo, SPSS, STATA and data-base application