The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
ABOUT THE JOB:**
The position (Livelihoods Officer) is based in Baidoa with, regular visits to all field/site locations. As part of the implementation of food security and livelihood activities under south west operational area, the officer will conduct all aspects of project implementation, including quality programming, capacity-building, training farmers’ on IPM and improved agriculture production techniques, monitoring economic improvements He will also responsible of initiating development of success stories from target beneficiaries, monthly and quarterly progress reports, in compliance with DRC and donor’s policies and procedures. The officer will consult closely at all times with FSL coordinator and technical advisor.
· Assist and support Food Security & Livelihoods team leader in the implementation of livelihoods interventions for DRC.
· Provide regular updates on the overall food security and livelihoods situation, including areas of food access, food shortages, availability and monthly market monitoring updates. Ensure that DRC’s objectives and approaches are well disseminated to raise awareness amongst beneficiaries ensuring compliance of policies and procedures on project implementations.
· Facilitate appropriate community involvement in the design and delivery of food security and livelihood activities (local leaders, local authorities and local communities). Assist planning as well as conducting FSL beneficiary registrations/verifications.
· Participate development of assessment questioners and conduct rapid assessment /analyze the situation and report writing
· Represent DRC on FSC meeting and other relevant inter-cluster coordination meetings and share meeting minutes and highlights
· Facilitate liaison with community based organizations and coordinate with community leaders in identifying target groups for DRC FSL activities in rural, urban and IDP settlements.
· Help empower the communities to enable them to manage their issues by themselves and be able to sustain projects
· Ensure equal participation by all segments of the community, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age and clan affiliation
· Organize and conduct training on Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) using DRC resilience design framework and ensure communities and farmers are provided with proper technical guidance in their field works.
· Develop distribution plans for agriculture inputs ensuring the timely use of the input in enabling participating farmers for the best result
· Prepare demonstration plots in the farmers’ field showing practically the farmers on the best use of improved production techniques (Double digging, Nursery making, transplanting, plant spacing, use of fertilizers, manures and pest control, pesticides, weeding, thinning, supplementary irrigations etc while using DRC resilience design approach).
· Play an important role in realization of project outputs and outcomes through timely implementation of activities in a well-planned, organized and coordinated manner
· Regularly monitor and evaluate the projects performance and provide timely agriculture inputs, documentation of HH economic changes/impacts on monthly/quarterly bases after the project implementation
· Arrange field days at least during crop maturity stage and give opportunity for the participating farmers to discuss the change in yields associated with the intervention and lesson learn that will be incorporated in the future plans
· Coordinate and facilitate the needs assessment survey of IDP’s and urban poor areas in collaboration with others Staff, INGO’s and or government.
· Facilitate and ensure establishment of village savings and loan associations (VSLA) and VST among target communities.
· Train VSLA groups, SMEs and VST on business and investment skills, loan repayment, book/record keeping and marketing and help to come up with business plan.
· Track progress of the saving groups to see if annual target set are achieved and ensure all misunderstandings within the groups are sorted.
· Identify high capacity vocational skills training centers and courses for the youth to learn high demanding and different skills as per the market needs
Education, Experience and technical competencies
· Diploma in Community development/agriculture science, or any other relevant field of education.
· Minimum of 2 years working experience in livelihoods, community development, and/or community mobilization.
· Good communication skills and ability to conduct training
· Computer skills, good organizational and people centered management skills
· Ability to represent the organization in key meetings.
· Good communicator in working with local communities, local NGOs and local authorities
· Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali languages
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
•Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
•Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
•Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
• Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
•Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Availability: June 2019
Duty station: Baidoa
Reporting to: Team leader-livelihood
Duration: One Year contract with possible extension
The position is open to Somali Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.