The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
Overall Purpose of the role
Under the supervision of the Area Manager, the Finance Officer supports in preparing/reviewing/uploading payments in DRC Dynamics, review budgets and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point between the area office finance staff and Finance Manager. Finance Officer also acts as “Technical Focal Points” to area office finance and program staff on Finance aspects.
Accounting / Finance
· Review payments for completeness and accuracy before they are uploaded in DRC Dynamics
· Prepare & submit IDRAs to Finance Coordinator and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
· Prepare cash requests using DRC Dynamics and submit to Country Finance for Approval.
· Review monthly payroll and allocation for Time sheets.
· Review balance accounts and ensure advances are cleared within the approved time-frame
· Maintain proper supporting documentation for all financial transactions.
· Scan all payment vouchers and submit them to Country Finance Specialist on a monthly basis
Budgeting and Reporting
· Support to Develop annual budgets for the field office (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
· Monthly BFU/TDL reviews & monitor actual spending and advice AM/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending.
· Support Finance Manager in preparation of Interim/final donor reporting.
· Support the Finance Coordinator in reviewing Partner financial reporting.
· Check on the completeness, accuracy and validity of information regarding payment documents
· Support in the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
· Support to Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building. Also, provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance.
· Support Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
· Coordinate with HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
· Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
· Support the Finance Coordinator to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
Experience and technical competencies
· Diploma/University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or two years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work.
· At least two year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping preferably in an NGO.
· Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
· Ability to prepare basic training modules on accounting management and conduct on the job trainings.
· Ability to prepare donor budgets will be an advantage.
· Experience in preparation of Donor reporting for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage
· Fluency in written and spoken English
· Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Availability: April 2019
Duty station: Dolow
Reporting to: Area Manager
Duration: 9 Month contract with possible extension
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.