Position: EPI Training Manager
Job site: Baidoa and Jowhar
Report to: technically reports to: Health and Nutrition Coordinator
Duration: 8 Months
Other Details: Based in Baidoa for the first 2 months and 6 months in Jowhar
INTERSOS is a non-profit humanitarian aid organization that works to bring assistance to people affected by natural disasters and conflicts. Established in 1992 with support from the Italian Federation of Trade Unions, its actions are based on the values of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equal rights and opportunities for all people and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying particular attention to the most vulnerable and the unprotected. In Somalia INTERSOS is active since 1992 responding to emergencies that involve IDPs and returnees populations as well as the host community. INTERSOS currently operates in Banadir, Bay, and Middle Shabelle and Mudug regions of Somalia.
INTERSOS currently seeks to support the implementation of Integrated Management of Acute Malnutrition (IMAM) and routine EPI (Expanded Programme of Immunization) interventions in Jowhar and Balad districts of Middle Shebelle and Baidoa district of Bay region of Central South Zone of Somalia. The objective of this project is to reduce the mortality/morbidity of children aged below 5 years by integrating EPI into the project supported OTP sites.
Working under direct supervision of Health and Nutrition Coordinator, the EPI training Manager will have the overall responsibility of building the capacity staff of OTP partners implementing nutrition projects in Baidoa and Jowhar districts on Integration of Expanded Programme on Immunization into both static and mobile OTPs.
The EPI training Manager will be required to:
· Take lead in adapting capacity building materials and manuals on EPI for the training of all OTP partners on organizing immunization sessions, giving the right vaccine safely, logistical requirements for both static and outreach immunization services, administration of EPI vaccines and how to end immunization sessions.
· Train OTP partners on EPI especially on planning, implementation and strengthening of integration of routine immunization activities into the existing OTP sites.
· Oversee the development and dissemination of immunization training materials for health professionals working in the mobile OTP clinics for all partners in Jowhar and Balad districts of middle Shebelle and Baidoa district of Bay region.
· Guide the development of refresher training package for INTERSOS and other OTP partners staff involved in the day to day running of the OTP mobile clinics.
· Manage external partnerships with technical immunization partners and donors to immunization community (for example, WHO/UNICEF immunization supply chain and logistics hub).
· Contribute to efforts aimed at developing technical guidance and the dissemination of best practices in good vaccine management handling in the intervention areas.
· Coordinate INTERSOS efforts towards contribution to the WHO/UNICEF immunization supply chain knowledge and technical assistance hub.
· Maintain close working relationships with UNICEF Supply division to ensure that equipment supplied to the project sites by UNICEF meets programmatic needs.
· Provide guidance and technical support to partners in the development of harmonized, costed immunization multi-year plans which includes but is not limited to: routine immunization, new vaccines introduction, measles and rubella control, maternal and neo-natal tetanus elimination, polio eradication and other disease control initiatives.
· Supervise and support INTERSOS staff, OTP partners in the development of their yearly objectives, in the implementation of their work plans and in meeting immunization performance objectives.
· Support OTP partners in the assessment of immunization financing requirements and in the identification of strategies to fulfill these requirements.
NB: This job description may be amended as required from time to time
Advanced university degree preferably Master’s level in public health, health policy, international relations, social sciences, epidemiology or in another related field.
· Good knowledge of UNICEF processes. Practical knowledge of, and experience in providing technical assistance to Ministries of Health in capacity building initiatives for immunization programming.
· Ability to motivate, lead and manage a diverse team.
· Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with and to coordinate diverse groups of stakeholders.
· Proven ability to plan and execute training or capacity building activities
· Strong interpersonal, networking and diplomacy skills.
· Conscientious with ability to take initiative and work independently.
· Proven ability to work in collaboration with a diverse range of stakeholders.
· Excellent knowledge of immunization programmes, vaccine preventable diseases and global health.
· Over 5 years of experience in immunization programmes in Somalia context.
· Demonstrated experience in working with local Ministries of Health in low-resource environments on the development, planning, implementation or monitoring and evaluation of immunization programmes.
· Demonstrated experience in drafting policies, guidelines or training materials.
· Extensive experience interacting with a broad range of immunization stakeholders. Desirable:
Country-level experience in immunization-Somalia Context. Previous experience working in the MoH or NGO system at country and/or regional level.