CALL FOR DRAMA CONSULTANT (TRAINER)
BBC Media Action
BBC Media Action is the BBC’s international development charity. We believe in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world. We reach more than 200 million people a year, helping them make sense of events, engage in dialogue and take action to improve their lives.
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this,
· We partner with civil society, local media and governments to produce creative programmes in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
· We strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action Somalia/Somaliland is currently implementing a 20-month holistic and integrated intervention that seeks to contribute to the following impact: ‘Somali women, including women from marginalized groups, are able to take part in and benefit from business activities and the formal and informal market’.
To contribute to the above impact, BBC Media Action will produce a weekly national radio magazine programme, ‘Making Waves’ broadcast on BBC Somali Service radio. ‘Making Waves’ will be a national platform to promote dialogue amongst women and men, question discriminatory norms and explore alternatives and build men’s support for and awareness of the multiplier effect that gender equality in the distribution of economic and financial resources as well as offering practical guidance on how women have overcome barriers. ‘Making Waves’ will also provide information on business opportunities which will be of value to both women and men and this will inspire women to access training and mentoring support and recognise the value of this kind of support.
We seek applications from an experienced drama trainer to lead delivery of drama story writing workshop for small group of scriptwriters and actors in Hargeisa-Somaliland.
The Drama Consultant/Trainer will work with group scriptwriters on the development of a story arc for an episodic radio drama programme for audiences across Somalia.
· Deliver a one-day workshop for the scriptwriters + Snr Producer and Studio Technician in basic scriptwriting skills for drama in line with the project needs and requirements.
· To take part (with the drama team) in hearing / discussing the relevant formative research finding of the project on the exact MA messages the drama is to address.
· To spend 8.5 working days (a half day off) with the i) Scriptwriters, ii) BBC Media Action production team iii) Any actors articulating the overarching story, and then break it down into steps that enable the mapping out of sub-story plots, the identification and continuity of characters and the production of a coherent 10 episode synopses.
· To help scriptwriters and actors draft scripts of one or two episodes of the drama under his/her close supervision during the workshop and the production team to produce.
· To support final selection process of the lead scriptwriter and Assistant from the pool of the scriptwriters’ trainees.
· Next steps – agree a rehearsal and recording schedule for the series and the writing schedule
· A ten episode synopses
· Subjects and topics for the team to create into the next 10 episode synopses, episodes 11- 20
· An agreed rehearsal and production schedule for the team.
· Two or one drama pilot episodes’ production supported.
· Training report with well-articulated next steps.
Essential skills and experience required:
· Demonstrate a minimum of five years’ relevant experience; production/script writing as a trainer or advisor.
· The successful applicant should have worked in radio drama and have demonstrable experience of fostering creative writing and training others.
· Experience of providing guidance for the radio drama scriptwriting and production.
· Excellent understanding of women empowerment, and economic opportunities promotion particularly for marginalized communities.
· Familiarity with Somalia/Somaliland and an in-depth understanding of the country’s history, politics, social issues, mindsets and attitudes and contemporary issues.
· Demonstrable understanding of the role of media and communications in development is desirable.
Duration of the consultancy:
The duration of the consultancy will be Thirteen (13) working days inclusive of travels and preparations. Ten days must be the workshop period. The workshop will take place in Hargeisa, Somaliland in February 2019.