Job Purpose and Organizational Context
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Resident Representative, the Communications Specialist implements the corporate communications strategy, designs, manages and facilitates the implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies with a view to influence the development agenda, to promote public and media outreach and to mobilize political and financial support for UNDP.
The Communications Specialist supervises and leads the communications staff of the country office and has a strong regular working relationship with the Regional Communications Adviser. The Communications Specialist also works in close collaboration with the Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UNDP Communications Group staff (Regional Communications Adviser and HQ) and Government officials, international and local media, subject matter experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP communication strategy implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Planning and elaboration of communications needs assessments for CO (projects, country programme and corporate change initiatives, etc) • Elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on corporate strategic priorities and UNDP External Communications Action Plan. • Constructive and timely advice on inclusion of communications components in programme and projects formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UNDP’s development programmes.
2, Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan
• Elaboration and implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan based on the corporate publications policy. • Identification and development of storylines for publications and substantive articles contributing to debates on key development issues. • Coordination and management of all CO publication activities, including content management, norms for publishing, design, liaison with printers and other suppliers to oversee production and supervision of publications dissemination.
Supervises the design and maintenance of the UNDP web site, intranet, CO web-based knowledge management system • Design of the office web sites based on corporate requirements in cooperation with the ICT staff. • Supervision and preparation of the content for the web sites and social media platforms ensuring consistency of the materials.
Supports the business development
• Creation and promotion of campaigns that position UNDP with local and international media and influences the development agenda based on current programme and new initiatives. • Management, promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications such as the Human Development Report. • Creation, promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on issues including UNDP activities, Sustainable Development Goals, UN Reform, etc. in association with other staff from Business Development Team. • Promotional activities to position UNDP as a leader within the development space. • Increased coverage and understanding of the UNDP’s work in the country or practice area through development and maintenance of media contacts and providing newsworthy information to national public and donors. • Formatting, packaging and submission of programme and projects initiatives for donor review in close collaboration with programme and project staff. • Development and maintenance of close contacts with government officials, multilateral and bilateral donors, civil society and private sector for implementation of the communications strategy, organization of roundtable discussions, press conferences, project visits, briefing sessions, interviews, launches, etc. • Forging of a “One UN” image through publicizing the significance of local UN reform efforts, joint programmes, common services. Organization and implementation of joint UN information campaigns (UN Day, World AIDS Day, etc.) • Ensuring access for journalists to subject-matter experts and UNDP spokespeople. • Regular updates to donors, donor reports, civic education and community awareness where appropriate to support projects. • Effective responses to inquiries for public information materials. • Innovative and creative solutions to sensitive or corporately strategic public communications issues. • Advocacy and promotion of UNDP mandate, mission and purpose.
• Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities. • Monitor practices, and project-specific news and developments in order to ensure guidance to the office that reflects the best and most current available information. • Provides advice and support to UNDP inputs to CCA, UNDAF, CPD and other documents. • Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories. • Organization and provision of training, consultancy and advice to UNDP staff on internal and external communications.
• Effective management of the Communications Office, including preparation of the work-plan, management of translations and contractual matters.
Recruitment Qualifications Education:
Master’s degree in media relations, journalism, publishing or related field Experience: 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy. Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization is helpful but not mandatory. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Language Requirements: Fluency in English. Other official language of the UN will be desirable