The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
Overall Purpose of the role
The Communications Officer will be a member of the DRC/DDG Somalia team and focus on communications; media advocacy, knowledge generation, management and promoting shared learning among actors working on security and justice in Somalia.The Communications Officer and will play a central role in helping the communication team on implementation of communication strategy for the Police Accountability and Access to Justice Project. He/ she will lead on interacting with the print and electronic media in Somalia and present and advocate the project objectives through talk shows, news items, reports and packages etc. He/she will also support development of contents and communication material for Knowledge Management hub. He/she will capture and consolidate project activities and success stories to be shared amongst the community of practice through the hub and other communication tools.
· Help in development and implementation of DRC/DDG Somalia Communications strategy to showcase project interventions along with knowledge generations, sharing and dissemination.
· Play a lead role on engaging with the national and local level media channels to highlight and advocate project objectives through talk shows, special reports, packages, and news items.
· Along with the field staff, work on preparation of talk shows and interviews involving representatives from different stakeholder groups including beneficiaries, civil society, police, government, and traditional and formal justice system.
· Inform, educate and persuade journalists, media community and opinion makers through workshops, formal and informal meetings to help advocate project objectives to relevant stakeholders.
· Help capacity building of staff in Somalia to improve quality of communications materials and reporting.
· Capture the events and project activities and present them at various communication platforms to raise awareness along with showcasing the project impact.
· Ensure documentation and consolidation of human-interest stories, which can be communicated externally.
· Create and develop IEC materials with the support from the communication department
· Provide up to date content for DRC/DDG social media platforms
Support on Somalia Security and Justice Knowledge hub
· In collaboration with colleagues develop contents and communication material for Security and Justice Knowledge Hub for Somalia Collect and organize relevant research and analysis reports, policy briefs, academic literature, grey literature, etc.
· Ensure data collection, analysis and creation of evidence and new knowledge to be presented on the hub
Organize coordination and learning events
· Facilitate community of practice groups on security, justice, and peacebuilding in Somalia.
· Organize meetings and learning events and ensure that they are well documented.
· Ensure that relevant information is circulated to the community of practice.
Experience, Educational qualifications and technical competencies
· You should have an experience of at least 3 years to work with development sector on the similar positions especially in Somalia.
· To be successful in this role, we expect that you are articulate, organized and highly motivated to promote better and more community sensitive security and justice practices in Somalia.
· You should have strong communication skills and be able to communicate effectively with a wide range of people from different cultural and professional backgrounds.
· You should have strong media linkages and must be aware of the local environment and media settings.
· You thrive in managing the challenges of working in the field under pressure and often in austere and restricted environments.
· You are a strong networker and enjoy working with teams of committed staff to build collaboration and capacity.
· You are a creative self-starter that is not afraid to think outside the box.
· You are passionate about ensuring high quality support to the security and justice sector in Somalia and conflict sensitivity of aid interventions in Somalia.
· Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership
· Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Availability: May 2019
Duty station: Baidoa
Reporting to: Communication Specialist.
Duration: 8 Month contract with possible extension.
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.