REQUEST FOR CONSULTANTS**
The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) is a global humanitarian organization with a mission to work with people in poverty and distress to create just and positive change. ADRA Somalia belongs to the world wide network, comprised of more than 130 supporting and implementing country offices. ADRA Somalia is seeking to recruit a consultant to conduct feasibility assessment study for professional technical secondary schools.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The purpose of the consultancy is to generate comprehensive baseline information on the feasibility and viability of establishing professional technical secondary schools in Somalia, in particular the regions of Hirshabelle, Southwest and Galmudug. Specifically, the feasibility assessment will aim to identify existing labour market needs/skills in the target locations, to determine the supply of students and teachers/instructors, and to present the basis for decision-making for development of secondary education infrastructure development and professional technical secondary schools’ implementation in Guriceel, Barawe and Jowhar Districts in South Central Somalia.
The assessment will among other issues, analyse demand and supply factors to assist in choice of pilot skills for each of the pilot professional technical secondary schools. The feasibility study will further review the overall market chain especially demand and supply factors and generate data to guide in investment of the pilot professional technical secondary schools. In addition, the assessment will confirm needs as well as the physical locations of the schools.
The information generated through this assessment will provide evidence to establish the need for professional technical secondary schools, curriculum, labor market needs (skills) supply of students and teachers/instructors. The assessment findings will make certain that the action is up to date with any recent developments with regards to participation in secondary education by relevant age-groups. Importantly, the assessment will present the basis for decision-making on inclusion of a site for secondary education infrastructure development and professional technical secondary schools’ implementation. This being a new concept being promoted by MOECHE, there is need to map out all the factors that the action will need to consider.
Further, the feasibility study will identify, outline and analyze a range of methodologies by which the SETS EA Consortium (MOECHE, ADRA and ARC) could potentially use to measure the uptake and outcome of the project, in addition to identifying the types of skills, and market demand. Where relevant, findings or recommendations of the assessment will be directed towards Somalia government and key development partners.
The consultancy falls under the SETS Expanded Action project funded by the European Union, implemented by ADRA and ARC, in partnership with the Ministry for Education, Culture and Higher Education in Mogadishu, and Federal Member States of Jubbaland, Southwest, Hirshabelle and Galmudug.
The consultant will be expected to undertake the following tasks:
The assessment should give comprehensive answers to the following questions, grouped below by relevant objective:
Assess the feasibility and relevance of the identified technical and non-technical skills training courses:
Identify and recommend specific additional services and support needed by trainees after they complete the TVET courses:
Profile of the consultant
· Post graduate degree in education from a recognized institution of higher learning.
· Extensive experience in research including designing and conducting (education) baseline surveys and feasibility assessments.
· Knowledge and experience of using participatory methodologies in monitoring and evaluation of education work in a developing country context.
· Knowledge and understanding of education management systems.
· Proficiency in computer skills.
· Understanding of education in a developing country.
· Excellent facilitation and report writing skills in English language.
· Extensive experience of delivering training workshops.
· Familiarity with the Somali context and education sector in particular.
· Experience of working in a politically insecure environment.
· Familiarity with donor funded education programmes in Somalia.
· Experience with previous work on technical secondary schools will be an added advantage.