VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: COUNTRY MANAGER – SOMALIA
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions, www.adesoafrica.org
Position Title: Country Manager – Somalia
Reporting To: The Executive Director
Working With: Project Managers, Technical Advisors, M&E Team and All Somalia Programs Staff
Program/Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya/Somalia
Duration: One (1) Year
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy. Current Adeso programs in Somalia are in Puntland, Galmudug, Jubaland and the South West State.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Country Manager (CM) will report to the Executive Director and will be responsible for the overall managerial and operational activities of Adeso projects in Somalia, including oversight of logistics and security. The CM will be responsible for the planning, design, fundraising, implementation, supervision, and expansion/development of the Somalia program portfolio. The CM will oversee the technical and project teams, including the Project Managers, Technical Advisors and the M&E team. The CM will be responsible for ensuring that all programmatic deliverables are met on schedule, program quality is assured and that staffs have access to all necessary technical resources.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Leadership and organizational strategy development.
· Guide strategy development process, lead action planning and implementation of the Somalia country program in line with Adeso’s organizational guidelines and policies.
· Shape team structures and culture to promote core values of Adeso in particular efficiency collaboration, and humility with a focus on growing the program.
· Supervise, mentor, motivate and manage the performance all senior members of staff.
· Actively participate in all regional/organizational initiatives and ensure resources, programs and colleagues are all aligned to ensure greater efficiency and strategic impact.
· Develop and drive a culture of excellence, continuous improvement, and performance optimization across all projects.
External Relations and New Business Development
· Develop current and future growth plans for Adeso’s program in Somalia, ensuring that those plans conform to the overall strategic plan of the organization.
· Support new business development and fundraising opportunities through preparing concept notes, proposals and developing partnerships.
· Ensure staff members with the relevant authority are properly trained in proposal development and presentation.
· Develop and maintain close working relationships with donors, government and other stakeholders as may be appropriate.
· Represent the organization in all high-level meetings, as well as relevant policy and strategy exchanges.
· Ensure that the organization retains legal registration, meets all statutory requirements, and has a healthy relationship with the requisite government and non-state agencies in Somalia.
Program and Technical Management
· Ensure project implementation and deliverables, donor reporting and project spending meet Adeso and donor expectations for quality and compliance.
· Ensure implementation of rigorous and comprehensive monitoring and evaluation, learning and reporting systems with regular reviews including program staff.
· Develop and deploy standard project management tools, and develop the project management and technical skills of the Project Managers and other project staff.
· Ensure coordination systems are in place and that strong coordination takes place across all Somalia programs.
· Mentor the Project Managers in best practices for leadership and management.
· Identify critical program support needs through close and constant consultation with the DCM and PMs, filter and champion priority support needs for the Somalia portfolio at the HQ level.
· Proactively identify risk exposure for Adeso; primarily in the areas of security and corruption or neglect.
Budgeting and Resource Planning
· Oversee timely and accurate monthly reporting and effective financial management of all resources allocated to Somalia projects.
· Ensure compliance with all Adeso and donor policies and procedures for financial and asset management.
· Ensure the accurate and timely completion of the annual country budgets for Somalia country program, assessing costs and budget/expenditures from projects and asset inventory.
· Oversee accurate and timely submission of financial forecasts
· Human Resources and Operations Management
· Recruit, manage, maintain and motivate a highly skilled, efficient team in consultation with the HR, Finance and operation departments and
· Support of the support staff such Human Resources and Finance team.
· Oversee staff development strategies and performance management systems are implemented.
· Oversight on compliance and audits.
· Serve as the primary focal point for all security incidents in Somalia and lead crisis response initiatives when security incidents occur.
· Monitor security levels in all operational areas and consult with the Regional Security Manager to upgrade or downgrade security levels as required.
· Ensure that Incident Report Forms are completed and submitted to the Executive Director in a timely manner and follow-up actions are completed immediately.
· In consultation with the operation Manager, ensure all security plans are current, context specific and applied by the program staff.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Graduate or post graduate degree in Social Sciences, International Development, Project Management, or related field.
· Minimum of 5-7-years’ experience in team leadership/project management roles with at least 5 years of field experience, strong organizational skills and experience with Project Management tools and methodologies.
· Strong skills in government negotiations, facilitation management, team leadership, planning, and problem solving and able to understand the total impact of the projects on the entire organization.
· Relevant overseas experience in a development and humanitarian context.
· Experience of Human Resource Management at field level including distance management.
· Experience in budget management and knowledge of financial procedures.
· Excellent written, spoken and analytical skills in English; ability to draft high quality, donor-ready reports without support.
· Highly proactive.
· Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
· Proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, PowerPoint, etc.
· Experience in Somalia and/or other conflict zones.
· Somali language skills.
· Familiarity with development and emergency international funding mechanisms.