Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can defeat poverty or any type of inequality or discrimination. We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development, and campaigning, in more than 90 countries. All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click *here.*
Oxfam Novib Somalia / Somaliland is looking for a
Country Funding Coordinator
Deadline for applications: 10 July 2020
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya, with frequent travel to Somalia / Somaliland
Type of appointment: Fixed-term Contract
Work schedule: Full-time (40 hours per week)
Reports to: Country Director of Somalia / Somaliland
Type of Posting: Single Posting
Salary & Scale: € 3.162,= to € 4.865 / Oxfam Novib’s scale 709 ( Int Grading C1)
Contract duration: 6 months
Start date: as soon as possible
To mobilize resources for the implementation of Oxfam’s Country Strategy (OCS) in Somalia and increase the impact of Oxfam on the lives of men and women facing poverty and injustice. To develop and maintain excellent relations with institutional and non-institutional donors and ensure the quality of Oxfam’s project in Somalia.**
OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
This position is aimed at significantly increasing Oxfam Somalia’s fundraising capacity with traditional donors as well as attracting new sources of funding from non-traditional donors.
We are seeking an outstanding institutional fundraising professional who has the ability to deploy her/his experience in institutional fundraising, in developing good relations with (potential) donors, ensure good management of donor grants, complying with the requirements of donors as well as Oxfam internal compliance procedures.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Identification of funding opportunities
• Responsible for designing, updating and implementing the Somalia donor mapping and funding strategy,
• Responsible for new business development including with philanthropies, income streams and innovative funding models with non-traditional donors, private sector, and other philanthropies such as foundations, lotteries and trusts in coordination and with the support of Oxfam affiliates
• Provide ongoing research, strategic donor intelligence gathering, and trends analysis and generate information to enable engagement with global, regional and country level donors.
• Support the appraisal of new funding opportunities using the bid and no bid decision making tool and processes.
• Work with other affiliates in identifying and developing new opportunities with home donors.
• Prepare and share with the CD, regular updates on top-line income status of the country in terms of (a) secure income for current year, (b) secure income for future years, and (c) proposals in the pipeline (which covers likely and possible)
New programme and business development
• To ensure a proactive development of propositions and proposal, allowing the County team to respond quickly to emerging opportunities (pipeline)
• Support the country program team in the development of attractive and high quality project proposals, concept notes and business development propositions
• Identify and foster potential partnerships, coalitions, consortia and affiliate engagement that may result in joint programmes. This also includes the collaboration with thematic specialists in Oxfam partner affiliates and at regional level.
• To develop materials that illustrate Oxfam’s activities in Somalia and provide evidences for the country office’s track record and capacity.
Capacity Building, Relationship and contracts Management
• Ensure internal grants management systems are compiled for complete grants management cycle as per system requirements from start to closing.
• Ensuring regular grants management meetings with finance and program.
• Ensure timeline and quality control for all donor proposal, reports, and/or any other document submission and to secure necessary sign offs
• To work closely with finance and programme departments to promote institutional learning and strategic growth of the organization.
• Lead knowledge management of fundraising procedures in the organization, in particular, documenting internal and external funding processes in order to foster institutional memory, learning and compliance.
• Work closely with the Program team to ensure capacity building in the field of programme and project development, report writing, use of logframes and theories of change and other relevant tools and approaches.
• Develop and implement a detailed plan for building the funding and donor compliance capacity of partner organisations, especially in proposal writing and donor mapping as part of localization initiative. This will include needs assessment, capacity building approach and delivery plan including tools and methodologies, performance standards, and evaluation approach
Advise the CD and the program team on ways to ensure effective management of donors contracts as per each donor guidelines and related risk management procedures
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
· Experience and knowledge of raising and managing institutional funds for humanitarian response, development projects and influencing work from traditional and non-traditional donors.
• Ability to conduct a market analysis, to identify key funding opportunities for the Somalia programme.
• Ability to lead and facilitate proposal development processes involving technical program, MEAL, and finance staff.
• Proven analytical skills and the ability to think strategically in relation to fundraising and donor engagement.
• Ability to work effectively with others persuading, influencing, negotiating and supporting, following as required in order to achieve fundraising targets. Ability to forecast and plan income
• Ability to produce clear, timely and end quality written proposals and reports for donors.
• Demonstrable organizational and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects to deadlines, and to get things done
• Ability to represent Oxfam and to develop excellent working relations with donors and external institutions
• Research and analytical skills and ability to evaluate proposals and write quality reports and make recommendations for improvements
• Experience with gender programming and working in multi-cultural environment
• Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
• Sufficient knowledge of Oxfam’s priorities and development and humanitarian programme work an advantage
• Knowledge of donor environment and key donor opportunities for the Somalia programme.
• Understanding of funding issues in relation in emergencies and development work
• Understanding of institutional funding strategies and ways to measure the effectiveness in resourcing strategic and programmatic priorities
• Experience in acquiring and managing new funding mechanisms (like tenders, impact investment etc)
• Experience in building the capacity of Institutional Funding teams to deliver on financial targets
We are comfortable to make transparent decisions and to adapt decision making modes to the context and needs.
We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Agility, Complexity, and Ambiguity
We scan the environment, anticipate changes, are comfortable with lack of clarity and deal with a large number of elements interacting in diverse and unpredictable ways.
We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
Strategic Thinking and Judgment
We use judgment, weighing risk against the imperative to act. We make decisions consistent with organizational strategies and values.
We have the ability to identify and lead visionary initiatives that are beneficial for our organization and we set high-level direction through a visioning process that engages the organization and diverse external stakeholders.
We are able to develop a high degree of self-awareness around our own strengths and weaknesses and our impact on others. Our self-awareness enables us to moderate and self-regulate our behaviors to control and channel our impulses for good purposes.
We all work to effectively empower and enable others to deliver the organizations goals through creating conditions of success. We passionately invest in others by developing their careers, not only their skills for the job. We provide freedom; demonstrate belief and trust provide appropriate support. We give more freedom and demonstrate belief and trust, underpinned with appropriate support.
WHAT WE OFFER
Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors. The salary range for this position is set in scale 709 with a salary range between € 3.162,= to € 4.865 gross per month.