Key Expected Results
Programme communication strategy, plan and implementation for behavioural change interventions.
Provides technical support and assistance in the development, management and facilitation of the implementation of programme communication strategy, plan of action and activities for strategic communication and promotion for social and behavioural change in support of country programme delivery.
• In collaboration with UNICEF management and decision makers and planners of government, donor organizations and the private sector, the Communication for Development Officer provides technical assistance in and contributes to the development, management and facilitation of the implementation of communication strategy and plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (c) increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
• Facilitates implementation and execution of the strategically planned communication interventions utilising innovative approaches, multi-media communication channels, digital platforms and other relevant communication methods. Engage and oversee various sub-contractors and implementers of the communication interventions, ensuring the high quality standards for the activities.
Programme communication materials
Provides technical support and assistance in the research, development, pre-testing, and production of culturally and contextually relevant communication materials.
• In collaboration with partners, the Communication for Development Officer carries out or assists in development, pre-testing and production of culturally and contextually relevant communication materials to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery, including facilitating behaviour change, where necessary.
• Supports the UNICEF global communications objectives and strategies through development of complementary country specific and local community materials.
• Ensures the quality, consistency and appropriateness of communication materials that are developed, produced, and disseminated to local communities, government officials, other partners and the press, including those developed and disseminated by the implementing partners.
3. Partnerships for social mobilization
Develops and enhances strong partnerships with community groups, leaders and other partners in the community and civil society for promotion of participation in social and behavioural changes supportive of programme goals.
• Develops partnerships with various religious groups, traditional leaders, teachers, artists and other organized groups in the community, as well as civil society organizations, to orient them on country programme goals and to solicit their involvement in the implementation of the country programme.
• Promotes a better understanding of children’s and women’s issues by assisting in or managing a country level behaviour change and social mobilization strategy supportive of effective and efficient programme delivery.
• Promotes and influences behaviour development/change at individual/ household levels, social mobilization of civil society organizations and increased community participation in development programmes.
4. Capacity development support
Effective capacity development interventions are organized, developed and implemented to strengthen partner’s abilities and skills at various programme issues related to emergency response in Ukraine.
Develops training and education activities to develop capacity for behaviour change communication, and strengthen partner’s abilities at various programme issues related to behaviour change communication.
• Develops activities and facilitates its implementation aimed at developing skills and knowledge on behavior change aspects tailored to the specific programme needs among parents and service providers.
5. Coordination and collaboration with government and partners.
Provides effective coordination and technical support to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
• Liaises and coordinates with government counterparts in the development and appropriate use of communication for social development aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action. Provide technical support as required.
• Provides assistance and support to government officials, community leaders, UN, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
6. Monitoring and evaluation
Monitor and evaluate programme activities and prepare monitoring and evaluation reports. Exchange findings, experiences, lessons learned and new methods with partners.
• Monitors and evaluates programme activities on the basis of applied communication research and frequent visits to project sites.
• Analyzes and evaluates data to ensure compliance and achievement of objectives and recommend corrective action, when necessary, to meet programme/project objectives. Prepares monitoring and evaluation reports in accordance with the established guidelines, methods and procedures. Provides technical advice to programme staff, government officials and other counterparts to coordinate and manage the evaluative elements of country programme milestone meetings, such as mid-term reviews, strategy meetings, previews and reviews and annual reviews.
• Disseminates communication research findings, and ensures exchanges and sharing of experience, lessons learned, best practices, and new methods to government officials, programme staff, and other UNICEF partners.
Provides relevant reports for donors, and provides inputs to the UNICEF regular reports.
7. Budget planning and management of program funds
Contributes to the budget planning and ensure the compliance and the optimal appropriation of allocated programme funds.
• Provide professional input in and contributes to the budget and programme review and planning process. Assists in the establishment of programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
• Reviews the allocation and disbursement of programme funds, ensuring that funds are properly coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
• Takes appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds. Improves programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.