Title of the position: Agricultural field officer
Duration of the contract: 7 months (renewable)
Expected starting date: 1st June 2020**
Place of deployment: Bosaso (80%) and Garowe (20%) with frequent field trips in Bari and Nugaal regions**
Name of the Project: Food Security and Sustainability in Fragile Situations – FSSFS**
CEFA – European Committee for Training and Agriculture (Comitato Europeo per la Formazione e l’Agricoltura) is an Italian NGO who has worked in Somalia since 1993 transiting through, Humanitarian response interventions, livelihood support, Food Security, Infrastructure Development, Agriculture and Rural Development, during the last 30 years. In Somalia CEFA has mainly worked in Puntland and in Middle & Lower Shabelle.
Brief about the project:
This project will contribute towards sustainably improve food security, nutrition and livelihoods and to build resilience among vulnerable households and their communities in Puntland. This goal will be achieved by increasing targeted households’ incomes through improved agricultural production and livestock productivity.
The project is divided in three main components:
Water component, which foresees the construction and the rehabilitation of water infrastructures and the adoption of climate-smart technologies;
Agriculture and livestock component, which foresees the improvement of the date palms value chain and the increase of range and small ruminant productivity;
Knowledge management component, which foresees pilot studies, researches and technical trainings.
Objectives and general characteristics of the position:
The Agricultural Field Officer is responsible for the direct implementation of CEFA’s agricultural activities in Puntland (Bari and Nugaal regions), under the direct supervision of the Agricultural Team Leader and Field Coordinator. (S)He will work on the delivery of training on Good Agronomic Practices, on the provision of technical support and assistance to dates palm farmers, on the facilitation and creation of linkages among the different value chain players, on strengthening the role and capacities of the farmers associations in Puntland. Furthermore, (s)he will be involved in the organization of project workshops and in the conduction of monitoring activities in coordination with the CEFA Puntland Area Manager and M&E Officer. CEFA always adopts an integrated value chain approach in its agricultural projects, working in close contact with the local communities from production to marketing of the agricultural commodities, to enhance profitability and promote public-private partnerships for a sustainable development of rural areas.
Responsibilities and duties:
· Assist the Agricultural Team Leader and the Date Palm Specialist in planning and scheduling all agricultural activities
· Support Agricultural Team Leader and the Date Palm Specialist in the delivery of training and in the organization of project workshops
· Assist the Agricultural Team Leader and the Date Palm Specialist in the establishment and management of CEFA demo plots and Farmer Field Schools;
· Conduct monitoring missions to ensure the conformity of the field works (trainings, field visits, meeting, etc) with the standards of CEFA and its donors.
· Support the Agricultural Team Leader and Date Palm Specialist in the preparation of training manuals and materials.
· Ensure the timely implementation of field works as per the predefined schedule.
· Inform and document the anomalies and the challenges encountered during the implementation phase of the program.
· Support in building and keeping relationships between CEFA, district authorities, municipalities and communities.
· File, document and report work progress to the Agricultural Team Leader, Date Palm Specialist and Field Coordinator on a weekly basis
· Regular reporting of progress and updates to the Agricultural Team Leader, Date Palm Specialist and Field Coordinator.
· Conduct beneficiaries’ mobilization and provide continuous technical support in agriculture.
· Facilitate training sessions on Good Agricultural Practices and Climate Smart Agriculture.
· Ensure the compilation of attendance lists and project documentation when required.
· Support monitoring activities by providing the Agricultural Technical Expert with data and updated information from the field.
· Support the agricultural inputs distribution.
· Continuous follow-up with farmers on training and agricultural activities
· Conduction of field visits and provision of technical support to farmers and project beneficiaries
· Any other activities that might be required.
· Degree or Certificate in Agriculture or any related fields;
· Past working experience (at least 5 years) in agricultural programs in humanitarian/development sector;
· Previous experience working in Bari and Nugaal regions in Puntland State of Somalia;
· Knowledge of English and Somali;
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Desired skills and experiences:
Responsible to: CEFA Agricultural Team Leader and CEFA Field Coordinator